Re: [FileAPI] Blob.URN?

From: Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 01:03:49 -0700
To: Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> type="saveas">.  What is desired is a way to simulate the load of a resource
> with Content-Disposition: attachment that would trigger the browser's
> download manager.
> >>
> >> I don't think that <input type=saveas> is a good solution for this, for
> one it falls back to a text input control, which is less than ideal. I think
> that the File Writer should trigger downloads on an API call since that
> doesn't introduce security issues that aren't already there. I'll make a
> proposal for that.
> >
> > Why not simply allow FileWriters be instantiated using:
> >
> > x = new FileWriter;
> >
> > And then make every call to .write open up the save as dialog.
>
> You wouldn't want to prompt on every write; developers might want to
> append a chunk at a time.
> You could prompt on creation, if you didn't mind that being a synchronous
> call.
>
> The reason I made an html element be the way of getting a FileWriter
> was to make the normal usage pattern not involve modal dialogs popping
> up in front of the user unprompted.  With an inpput control, they can
> choose when to interact with it, rather than having a speedbump shoved
> in front of them.

Please no more JS functions that block on modal dialogs! :-)

@sicking:  It seems odd to vary the behavior of .append based on how the
FileWriter was created.  Perhaps we should provide some other asynchronous
means of creating a FileWriter?

I also find it a little odd that we are overloading <input> to specify a
save-as
location.  Has the idea of an <output type=file> tag been discussed?

-Darin