Re: Scientific Literature on Capabilities (was Re: CORS versus Uniform Messaging?)

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Tyler Close wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > One of the big reasons to restrict which origin can use a particular
> > resource is bandwidth management. For example, resources.example.com
> > might want to allow *.example.com to use its XBL files, but not allow
> > anyone else to directly use the XBL files straight from
> > resources.example.com.
>
> An XBL file could include some JavaScript code that blows up the page if
> the manipulated DOM has an unexpected document.domain.

This again requires script. I don't deny there are plenty of solutions you
could use to do this with script. The point is that CORS allows one line
in an .htaccess file to solve this for all XBL files, all XML files, all
videos, everything on a site, all at once.