Re: XMLHttpRequest Comments from W3C Forms WG

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:17:25 -0800
To: "Klotz, Leigh" <Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com>
CC: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Forms WG <public-forms@w3.org>
On 12/17/09 2:10 PM, Klotz, Leigh wrote:
> I'd be surprised if some of these aren't terms already defined elsewhere.  "URL" for example, is surely not given a different definition in HTML5 from the definition in RFC 3986.

As it happens, it is.  There are various strings that are defined to not
be a URL in RFC 3986 terms (as in, don't match the production) but are
used on the web in practice and which handling needs to be defined for.

In other words, RFC 3986 is pretty well divorced from web reality; a UA
trying to actually implement it ends up not compatible with the web.

-Boris