Why preflight per-resource rather than per-origin?

From: Mark S. Miller <erights@google.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:24:56 -0800
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
Despite the costs of doing preflight opt-in on a per-resource basis rather
than a per-origin basis, to meet its security goals, CORS proposes to do
preflight on a per-resource basis. I have seen the rationale for this stated
in bits and pieces. Can anyone point me at a reasonably self contained
statement for why we need preflight on a per-resource rather than a
per-origin basis? If there's nothing adequate to point at, could someone
state a reasonably self contained rationale for this? Thanks.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM