Re: Scientific Literature on Capabilities (was Re: CORS versus Uniform Messaging?)

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
> There seem to be two schools of thought that to some extent inform the
> thinking of participants in this discussion:
> 1) Try to encourage capability-based mechanisms by not providing anything
> that lets you extend the use of origins and cookies.
> 2) Try to build on the model that already exists and that we are likely
> stuck with, and provide practical ways to mitigate its risks.

My own perspective on this is:
3) In scenarios involving more than 2 parties, the ACL model is
inherently vulnerable to CSRF-like problems. So, for cross-origin
scenarios, a non-ACL model solution is needed.

The above is a purely practical perspective. When writing or auditing
code, UM provides a way to eliminate an entire class of attacks. I
view it the same way I do moving from C to a memory safe language to
avoid buffer overflow and related attacks.

--Tyler