Patent disclosure for UM? [Was: Patent disclosure for UniMess? [Was: [cors] Uniform Messaging, a CSRF resistant profile of CORS]]

From: Mark S. Miller <erights@google.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 08:44:26 -0800
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, Tyler Close <tyler.close@gmail.com>, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, mike@w3.org, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
[+public-webapps]

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:
>> Would you two (and anyone else that contributed to the UniMess > proposal)
>> please make a patent disclosure for your proposal?
>>
>> -Art Barstow
>
> Umm... why do you presume they have a patent to disclose?
>
> Are you asking them to say "we know of no relevant patents"?
> That's sort of the opposite of a patent disclosure.
>  http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/42538/status#discl-howto

I know of no relevant patents. If you're asking us to include the
quoted "An individual who ... W3C Patent Policy" text in our next
Status of this Document section, certainly. Thanks for the suggestion.

And Arthur, while we appreciate the attempt at humor, "UniMess" is not
our favorite abbreviation ;). Among ourselves, we've been using "UM".
Hence the change of subject.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM