Re: suggestion - RJavaScript

From: David Rajchenbach-Teller <David.Teller@mlstate.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:25:48 +0100
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org
To: inhahe <inhahe@gmail.com>
FWIW, there have been discussions on related topics on the ECMAscript
2 mailing-lists.
FWIW also, the JIT-compiling engines give impressive results on
projects that don't take advantage [too often] of highly-dynamic

My personal take on this would be to not pursue this question too much
and let the ECMAScript teams do their best.

On Dec 4, 2009, at 11:58 AM, inhahe wrote:

> forgive me if my post is off-track, i just discovered this w3o applet
> initiative exists and haven't read much of it yet.
> My proposal is for an extension to JavaScript, perhaps called
> RJavaScript.
> RJavaScript would be a subset of the JavaScript language, which
> doesn't support some of its more dynamic features (prototype-based
> programming, dynamic typing, and hash table lookups for attributes
> might be candidates).  My understanding is that JavaScript's
> particular level of dynamicm makes it virtually impossible to execute
> it at competitive speeds with other languages, like C#, Java or C++,
> even with the new JIT-compiling JavaScript engines.  For any task that
> needs to be executed particularly fast, that part of the program could
> then written in an RJavaScript block (hopefully as an extension to
> JavaScript syntax, not as a new SCRIPT tag type option, to make it
> easier to intermix the two language types).

David Rajchenbach-Teller
  Head of R&D