Re: [WARP4U] WARP with UPnP

From: Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:13:52 +0100
To: "Stephen Jolly" <stephen.jolly@rd.bbc.co.uk>, public-webapps@w3.org
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:12:23 +0100, Stephen Jolly
<stephen.jolly@rd.bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> Keeping things simple, the most compelling use case I can see (aka the
> one I care about...) is where the developer wants to write a widget that
> can access resources on a network with no centralised DNS or
> developer-predictable IP addresses.  This is the case for many home
> networks.

Through Opera Unite, Opera has a considerable interest in the
discoverability of local web services (being agnostic with regards to the
definition of "local", and the actual underlying implementation, whether
that is called UPnP, m-DNS, or something entirely different).

At Opera, we already have (experimental) running code and DOM interfaces
for such local service discovery. This spec is not in conflict with the
WARP specification, nor does it have dependencies on it.  We would be
willing to, given some preparation, provide this as input for a new
working item.

--
Arve Bersvendsen