Re: [webstorage] deleting a database

From: João Eiras <joaoe@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 02:50:18 +0100
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org

>> Would be much more simple to just delete the database explicitly
>
> Yes, but is this something that will happen often enough to matter?

Unfortunately, that question has two answers. It should happen often, but
I doubt web developers will ever bother to clean up the data they don't
need :)

 From my personal experience, it's good to do quick synchronous cleanup
during testing. An heuristic like "delete database if data file is empty"
would need to be implemented when the database is no longer in use by any
webpage, so the dom object is garbage-collected and the underlying
database deleted.

Still on the same topic, why not also allow database names to be listed
somewhere ? It fits really nicely the use case of developer tools with web
UIs. Something like
interface Window {
   readonly DOMStringList databases;//or databaseNames
}
should be enough IMO.