Re: [WARP] Call for comments on pre-LC#2 of WARP spec; deadline 18 November

On Nov 19, 2009, at 12:03 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
>> RATIONALE: The ability of having nested <feature> elements under the
>> <access> element, allows the widget authors to control access to a
>> specific set of (platform) features on a per resource/domain basis,
>> improving the overall access-control and Widgets security model.
>
> Can you describe the use cases here? I know for playing around with
> the blackberry emulator that you guys (RIM) already implement this.
> Can you give us some insight into the actual use case and rationale?
> What kinds of features are being tightly controlled by <access>?

That would be my question as well. To provide more detail, the idea is that remote resources accessed by widgets (in this case we're talking about <iframe> and <object> only I think) follow the normal web security model. I have qualms about having the widget model reach onto the web without very good reason for it.

It also makes WARP more complex — I would like to once again strongly reinforce the idea that WARP is intended to be extremely simple, and a stop-gap specification until DAP produces something appropriately powerful. The Feature Vault is guarded by an oversized Pistol Shrimp [0] with a bad temper. She will require a very strong use case for this sort of additional feature.

[0] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/