Re: Use Cases and Requirements for Saving Files Securely

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:51:56 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2009, at 11:45 PM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:21:06 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
>> wrote:

>>> These are good use cases.
>>
>> I would like to expand them a little, in each case making it possible
>> to use existing content, or expose content directly to the user
>> enabling them to change the software they use, or even use multiple
>> tools on the same content - a web app one day, a different one next
>> week, a piece of shrink-wrap software from time to time.
>
> I'm having trouble following. Could you give more specific examples of
> what you have in mind?

* Ability to make a web-based mail interface that has access to the actual
files that my local mail client has.

* Ability to make a web-based audio player that lets me play the audio I
already own (but with a different UI accessing different metadata), which
have been filed by iTunes in a set of directories on my local drive.

> Does your expansion imply new requirements, on top of either Ian's list
> or my list?

As I understand it, your list is just a restriction of Ian's. I am not
sure if this requires an extension of Ian's list - I am listing the things
I am actually trying to do or know of people actually working on, before
trying to get the requirements for each different approach.

>> And add:
>>
>> * A document management system as hybrid web app, allowing file-based
>> access to the documents as well.
>
> I don't exactly follow this either. By "hybrid web app", do you mean
> something running locally with some portion of native code doing part of
> the job?

No, I mean a web-app running as a web app, which assumes that other
applications, some local, will want to use the document.

For example, I use several different applications to interact with images,
with PDF documents and Documents in Word/OpenOffice formats, depending on
what I am doing with the document at the time. I would like to add to that
range of applications the ability to use a web-app without having to
maintain separate copies - synching is even harder than managing my file
system.

cheers

Chaals