Re: Use Cases and Requirements for Saving Files Securely

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 01:59:04 -0800
To: ifette@google.com
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, public-device-apis@w3.org
2009/11/12 Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) <ifette@google.com>:
> This is really getting into fantasy-land... Writing a file and hoping that
> the user actually opens up explorer/finder/whatever and browses to some
> folder deep within the profile directory, and then double clicks something?
> Telling a user "click here and run blah to get a pony" is so much easier.

So first off that only addresses one of the two attacks I listed.

But even that case I don't think is that fantasy-y. The whole point of
writing actual files is so that users can interact with the files,
right? In doing so they'll be just a double-click away from running
arbitrary malicious code. No warning dialogs or anything. Instead the
attacker has a range of social engineering opportunities using file
icon and name as to make doubleclicking the file inviting.

Like I said, I think this might be possible to work around in the
implementation by making sure to neuter all executable files before
they go to disk.

/ Jonas