Re: Value of Server-Sent Events

On Oct 25, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Michael Nordman wrote:

> Perhaps some scoping of how widely "shareable" a stream is could
> make sense...
>
> // the one defined for non-shareable streams
>
> // can be shared by everyone (network appliances could mux these
> streams)
>
> // can only be shared within a particular session
>
> The latter could be useful for event-streams that contain data
> specific to a particular authenticated user.

I'm not sure Content-Type is the right way to indicate these
differences. All of these kinds of streams should continue to work as
they do today in clients that only known the "application/event-
stream" Content-Type, because the data format is the same and the
processing is consistent. The difference between -universally-
shareable and -session-shareable is in particular a difference of
access control, not processing.

It's also not clear to me why opting in to this behavior on the server
is better than doing so on the client.

Regards,
Maciej