Re: Web Notifications, do we need a new spec?

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:15:56 -0400
Cc: John Gregg <johnnyg@google.com>, Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>, "ifette@google.com" <ifette@google.com>, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@chromium.org>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Drew Wilson <atwilson@google.com>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: ext Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, ext Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
On Oct 21, 2009, at 11:04 AM, ext Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:

> (adding the Device APIs Working Group mailing list in CC:)
>
> Hi John, Web Apps
>
> Le lundi 19 octobre 2009 à 14:12 -0700, John Gregg a écrit :
>> Apologies for the delay, I've been spending the majority of my time
>> completing the initial implementation for Chrome, but I've posted a
>> draft version of a spec for notifications to
>>
>> http://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/developers/design-
>> documents/desktop-notifications/api-specification
>>
>> I think that's a good starting point for formalizing it.
>
> I think this API would likely fit under the “User Interaction API”
> http://www.w3.org/2009/05/DeviceAPICharter#deliverables of the Device
> APIs and Policy Working Group — the group has’t had the time to
> look in
> details at the proposed work (but is hoping to do that in a week
> time),
> but in the event we would agree that the scope matches our charter,
> would there be any objection (from Google, from WebApps) in taking up
> that work in the Device APIs and Policy Working Group rather than
> WebApps?

I added Web Notifications to the Agenda Items list for WebApps' API
meeting at TPAC:

[[
http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/TPAC2009APIs#Agenda_Items

*  Web Notifications
   o Discuss during a Joint Session with DAP WG
   o Ownership: DAP or WebApps? - see email by Dom Hazael-Massieux
[1] (21-Oct-2009)
   o Google Proposal [2] submitted by John Gregg [3] (19-Oct-2009)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009OctDec/
0285.html
[2] http://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/developers/design-
documents/desktop-notifications/api-specification
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009OctDec/
0225.html
]]

-Regards, Art Barstow