Re: [widgets] Dropping xml:lang on icon elements

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:54:41 +0200
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: marcosc@opera.com
Hey Marcos,

On Oct 9, 2009, at 16:07 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 9, 2009, at 13:33 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
>>> For simplicity, keeping a two-dimensional lookup of media type
>>> locales folder makes the implementation easiest and yields the least
>>> surprises.
>>
>> Fine by me, so long as it doesn't delay the spec any further :)
>
> I don't appreciate these "delay" statements. The only thing that is
> delaying the CR process is that few  implementers are sharing their
> implementation experience and that I'm having to create test and
> verify the spec on my own (and me having to waste time repeating in
> emails what the purpose of CR is!). These icon bugs were caught by
> Opera because Opera is turning the theory outlined in P&C into
> practice.

So it's great that Opera is finding bugs and reporting them, and it
sucks that others are not finding or not reporting them  which might
just mean that Opera is farther ahead in its implementation.

But that doesn't change one fundamental fact: this is a change "for
simplicity", i.e. unless I misunderstood something not a bug that
prevents interoperable implementation. So I'll re-state my position:
if it causes no delay than already incurred, I'm happy to make
implementers' jobs easier, otherwise I think it should stay as is.
It's just the same argument I've been making all along: it's never
going to be perfect, but it could well be too late.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/