Re: [XHR] Some comments on "charset" in the Content-Type header

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 17:21:58 +0200
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 02:58:22 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> [...]

I realize this discussion was well over a year ago. I imagine Gecko has
meanwhile dealt with the compatibility issues so we can probably keep it
in the specification if you can confirm that. (And add it to
XMLHttpRequest Level 2 where it is not yet included.)

Could you please also comment on the text in

   http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest/#the-send-method

to see if what it says now regarding the Content-Type header and charset
parameter is correct?

Something I would like to change is to remove the dependency on
document.inputEncoding and simply always encode documents as UTF-8 too.
Can we do that? This would be better for off-the-shelf XML parsers on the
server which might only be able to deal with UTF-8 and UTF-16. Especially
in the cross-origin scenario.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/