Re: [cors] security issue with XMLHttpRequest API compatibility

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:34:11 +0200, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2009, at 6:33 AM, ext Thomas Roessler wrote:
>> So, to pick up on this discussion again -- I don't think we've had a
>> useful conclusion whether or not the client-side JavaScript code ought
>> to explicitly enable cross-site requests (as Tyler suggests, and as IE
>> implements in XDR) or not.
>>
>> All things considered, any thoughts?
>
> I tend to think that when adding new semantics, it generally makes sense
> to add new syntax to support those semantics and in this case that it
> would be better to err on the side of caution even if the mechanism
> chosen isn't particularly friendly to the app developer.
>
> Yes, it would be good to get others thoughts on this, particularly those
> that have implemented CORS.

If you still feel this way I suggest you put it on the agenda for TPAC so
we can briefly discuss it there. Otherwise I suggest we consider this
resolved considering that implementations are shipping.

I personally think keeping the API the way it is now is nicer and the
security issue seems highly theoretical.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/