Re: Comment on File API's FileData::slice method

From: Arun Ranganathan <aranganathan@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 09:21:18 -0700
To: Olli@pettay.fi
CC: Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>, public-webapps@w3.org
Olli Pettay wrote:

> Synchronous slice seems pretty useful to me.
> Reader methods need to have some error handling anyway, so why to have
> it also with slice. (I guess the exception is thrown only if offset or
> length have out-of-bounds values).
Yes; the exception as spec'd is thrown for out of bound values.  But it
may also be fine to return a null FileData object.

> If we want to support streaming or handle changes to file's size, the
> API needs some changes. Or we need a separate API for streaming.
>
> Btw, I'm not sure now which is the latest draft.
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileUpload/publish/FileAPI.html is one,
> but I think there is events based API somewhere.
I've committed to updating the spec.[1] based on the Alternative File
API [2] proposal, and will have a draft ready before the publishing
moratorium (before TPAC).

-- A*
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/1194.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/0565.html