Re: RFC: WebApp Timing (Rnd 2)

Hi, Anne,
    Thanks for the comments and I will address them in the next revision.
Pls see details inline.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 6:28 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:17:06 +0200, Zhiheng Wang <zhihengw@google.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Updated to incorporate the feedbacks. (Sorry for the long pause. I've been
>> in absence for the past couple weeks.)
>>  1) the window.pageTiming attribute should be available for each browsing
>> context, not only the top-level one.
>>

> You need to use [Supplemental] before "interface Window" as you are not
> defining the Window interface in this draft, just an extension.
>

> The draft does not explain why the different navigation methods need to be
> distinguished. Assuming this feature can be justified I think it needs to be
> defined in more detail. E.g. what needs to be returned if a page is loaded
> get information about the entire redirect chain rather than just the one
> before you go to the current page?
>
> Is is important to share with the Web author whether the user opened the
> page in the current tab or a new one?

    In the past we've found the type of navigation have much effect on the
the browser itself than the apps provider's setup. So it is useful to be
able to distinguish these different cases.

> I also think it should be made more clear how exactly the specification
> works together with the navigate algorithm. It currently says "navigation
> event" where "navigation" is a pointer to the navigate algorithm in HTML5
> which does not define an event so it is unclear from where the timing should
> start.

> Why does this draft not contain the legacy timer APIs currently in HTML5?

    Yes, one of my tasks right now is to make proper link-ups with other
html5 docs.

> (Maybe you should ask a Team contact for an account on dev.w3.org so it is
> easier for us to monitor changes. Would also be nice to have a single
> pointer for the draft.)

    Yes, hopefully the next revision will be on dev.w3.org instead.

thanks,
Zhiheng