Re: Web IDL Garden Hose

On Sep 28, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

> [...]

Defining the Web IDL syntax without defining any language bindings
would not be very useful:

1) The syntax is to a large extent designed around being able to
express the right behavior for language bindings, particularly
ECMAScript bindings. So we can't really lock it down without knowing
that it can express the needed behavior in the bindings, which
requires the bindings to be done.

2) To actually implement any spec using Web IDL, implementors need at
least one language binding, and most implementors will consider an
ECMAScript binding to be essential. Without the bindings being
defined, it will not be possible to build sound test suites for the
specs using Web IDL.

3) The whole point of Web IDL was to define how DOM and related Web
APIs map to languages, and especially ECMAScript. Previous specs used
OMG IDL where the mapping was not formally defined, and implementors
had to read between the lines. Removing language bindings from Web IDL
would return us to the same bad old state, thus missing the point of
doing Web IDL in the first place.

Regards,
Maciej