RE: Web IDL Garden Hose

From: Allen Wirfs-Brock <Allen.Wirfs-Brock@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:12:03 +0000
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, "Mark S. Miller" <erights@google.com>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
>From: es-discuss-bounces@mozilla.org [mailto:es-discuss-
>bounces@mozilla.org] On Behalf Of Robin Berjon
>>
>> There is no old version.
>
>Right, this is v1. What previous W3C API specifications had relied on
>was either OMG IDL, or the common lore understanding that people were
>familiar with this way of expressing APIs, so they'd get it right.
>We're trying to do a bit better than that.

The primary concern of TC39 members is with the WebIDL ECMAScript bindings.  I haven't yet heard any particular concerns from TC9 about WebIDL as an abstract language independent interface specification language. Since W3C seems committed to defining language independent APIs, I would think that the language independent portion of the WebIDL spec. would be the only possible blocker to other new specs.

It seems like this might be a good reason to decouple the specification of the actual WebIDL language from the specification of any of its language bindings.

Allen Wirfs-Brock
Microsoft