Re: Let's set up a mailing list for coordination with ECMA and Web IDL discussion

On Sep 27, 2009, at 5:24 PM, Arthur Barstow wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2009, at 7:33 PM, ext Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
>> ECMA TC39 (the group responsible for ECMAScript) has expressed a
>> strong interest in having a list for joint discussion with the W3C,
>> and particularly the Web Apps WG. And they are especially interested
>> in review of Web IDL. I suggest we set up <public-scripting@w3.org>
>> (name suggested by Mark Miller) as a list managed by the Web Apps WG
>> for both purposes - discussion of Web IDL, and other scripting-
>> related
>> coordination issues. I think this would be better than the massive
>> cross-posting we've experienced over the past few days.
>>
>> Does this sound like a good idea to everyone?
>
> The only concern I have is the potential for an input from someone
> who has not agreed to the W3C's Patent Policy (PP) to be included in
> one of our specs. In practice, the risk for this scenario for the
> Web IDL spec appears to be relatively low. However, at least one of
> the messages in one of these related threads implied there may be an
> impedance mismatch between ECMA's patent policy and the W3C's PP.

There is that risk. However, public-webapps and www-dom are also open
to subscription by anyone, as I understand it. In any of these cases
anyone giving major technical input should probably be asked to agree
to the W3C Patent Policy.

> I think we should get some input from the W3C Team here but it
> appears the benefits of this proposed list i.e. increased
> communication between ECMA and W3C, outweigh the IP risks so you get
> a tentative Yes from me.
>
> FWIW, I think Doug's earlier proposal to name this list "public-idl"
> was good but I am mostly indifferent as to the name and could
> certainly live with public-scripting.
>
> Mike, Doug - please pursue creating the list.

I thought public-idl was also good, but the more general name might
make it a decent place to discuss issues that are not strictly Web
IDL, such as the need for a data type for binary data.

Regards,
Maciej