Re: ECMA TC 39 / W3C HTML and WebApps WG coordination

From: Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:18:00 -0700
Cc: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, es-discuss Steen <es-discuss@mozilla.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, public-webapps@w3.org
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
I will stop the over-citing madness here and now :-P.

The struggle to formalize ArrayLike, which seems like a common goal
for ES the core language and for WebIDL's ES bindings, makes me want
to give an exception to the "catchalls considered harmful for new
interfaces" injunction. I agree that indexing into array-likes, with
no liveness magic, seems containable and desirable. ES folks haven't
nailed down ArrayLike yet (our fault) and we would benefit from
collaboration with WebIDL folks here.

So if you are doing more ArrayLike interfaces, let's keep talking.
Don't let at least my catchalls-considered-harmful statements stop
progress on ArrayLikes.

I expect some ES folks may demur now :-).

/be