Re: HTML extension for system idle detection.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@chromium.org> wrote:

> I don't believe that's what Frederick is talking about.  Also, fuzzing and
> rounding don't apply to the proposal you just sent out since it's now just
> an event (rather than a timer based API).

Well, there is still a query to find the idle time in a second resolution
that could be fuzzed.

> I think there is some merit to Jonas and Frederick's comments.  We are
> leaking more information (but not a lot more) about a users habits than we
> did before.  I haven't responded to them yet because I don't have a good
> answer.  :-)

True we are leaking a little more information, although a lot of this is
determinable using other mechanisms already although not as accurately.  It
does require the user to spend a lot of time on a specific site, or have a
specific site up in their browser all the time.  Which could already be used
for a lot of this sort of targeting.

Employers would just install an app or a plugin to the browser :)

Good luck,
David.