Re: HTML extension for system idle detection.

From: Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 23:13:08 +0200
To: "Frederick Hirsch" <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>, "ext Jeremy Orlow" <jorlow@chromium.org>
Cc: "David Bennett" <ddt@google.com>, "public-webapps@w3c.org" <public-webapps@w3c.org>
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 22:13:09 +0200, Frederick Hirsch
<frederick.hirsch@nokia.com> wrote:

> isn't the mere knowledge of the level of activity on a device a possible
> privacy concern, and couldn't the pattern of activity offer a traffic
> analysis type opportunity?

This is what I was getting at when asking the question initially:

* an employer could use it to determine whether an employee is using his
computer or not
* ad delivery networks could use it for behavioral tracking and targeting
of advertising.   Selling a "cure for loneliness" might stick more with
someone who spends 16 hours daily in front of an active computer.

--
Arve Bersvendsen