Re: HTML extension for system idle detection.

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:43:35 +0200
Cc: public-webapps@w3c.org
To: David Bennett <ddt@google.com>
Hi David,

On Sep 17, 2009, at 00:05 , David Bennett wrote:
> I have a proposal for an extension to javascript to enable browsers
> to access system idle information.  Please give me feedback and
> suggestions on the proposal.
>
> Thanks!
>
> SUMMARY
>
> There currently is no way to detect the system idle state in the
> browser.  For example this makes it difficult to deal with any sort
> of chat room or instant messaging client inside the browser since
> the idle will always be incorrect; or allow for apps to control
> their speed or network resources when a user is idle.

This sounds like it /could/ (not sure and no promises) be an area of
work for DAP, given that it is about device/system information, and
given that I would expect the user to be in very solid control of the
security policy granting access to such information. I guess it could
perhaps be exposed as a system property, part of the System
Information work.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/