RE: Normalization, was: RE: [Widget URI] Internationalization, widget IRI?

Hi Marcos,

>>So it turns out that %-encoded really just means "replace this '%xx'
>>with UTF-8 bytes".
Yes.

>>So we don't need to do anything.
P&C shall state the actual algorithm and equivalence.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-widgets-apis-20090423/

had this issue:
"ISSUE: do we need to do some kind of URI normalization to check for equivalency?"

According to RFC3987, 5.1:
"  Applications using IRIs as identity tokens with no relationship to a
   protocol MUST use the Simple String Comparison (see section 5.3.1).
   All other applications MUST select one of the comparison practices
   from the Comparison Ladder (see section 5.3 or, after IRI-to-URI
   conversion, select one of the comparison practices from the URI
   comparison ladder in [RFC3986], section 6.2)"

@href may fall into Comparison Ladder case, id into namespaces.
The question (still the same) is whether in case of @name of <feature> the IRIs are used as identity tokens (id, simple string) or anything else/new.
Once the answer is that IRIs are to be treated as identity tokens (as you propose and I agree), then we still have the issue of expressing the non-ASCII IRIs in ASCII documents (border case). Then we would need a guideline / example that in XML the author shall use character entities to encode the IRI (I marked this solution awkward, but I could live with it).

Thanks,
Marcin

Marcin Hanclik
ACCESS Systems Germany GmbH
Tel: +49-208-8290-6452  |  Fax: +49-208-8290-6465
Mobile: +49-163-8290-646