Re: [widgets] Editorial Comments on 18-Aug-2009 LCWD of A&E spec

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Arthur Barstow <Art.Barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2009, at 2:47 PM, ext Marcos Caceres wrote:
>
>> Can I be a PITA and ask you to set up the wiki page and just reuse the
>> old text. Then I will link to it.
>
> I took a first pass at this:
>
>  http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/WidgetSpecs

Looks great. Linked both P&C TSE and A&E.

>>> 9. Section 2: Getting and Setting: seems like there should a [Reference]
>
> My thought here was that if Getting and Setting are defined e.g. in a DOM
> spec, a reference to that spec should be added; if not, ignore my comment.

No, I nicked those from WebStorage... I don't think there is much
point in referencing web storage, as no further information can be
found there.

>>> 10. Section 2: Initialization: I don't understand this sentence, which
>>> when
>>> shortened is effectively "The first run through X, prior to runtime.".
>>
>> How about:
>>
>> "When a user agent first runs a widget package through the Steps for
>> Processing a Widget Package, as specified in the [Widgets-Packaging]
>> specification, prior to runtime."
>>
>> That boils down to:
>>
>> When a user agent first runs a widget package through X, prior to runtime.
>
> I still can't parse/grok it but it's probably just me and I'll bug you about
> it in IRC (someday) :-).
>
> Perhaps part of the confusion is that "user agent" in the context of this
> defintion is presumably a P&C user agent yet that qualification isn't made
> and the only reference to that definition is in Section 6.1 and in that
> context the UA is the A&E UA.

Yeah, you nailed it (well, section 4.1 Support of Other Specifications
[1] kinda defined it). Reworked the definition of a UA to:

[[
A user agent is a software implementation that supports:
 * The widget interface.
 * The [Widgets-Packaging] specification.
 * The [Widgets-URI] specification.
 * Storage areas.

It is optional for a user agent to support the widgets
[Widgets-DigSig] specification.
]]

Where supports means "a user agent implements a mentioned
specification or conformance clause."

I removed "4.1 Support of Other Specifications", as it was incorrect anyway.

However, the question about if "initialization" is clear enough
remains. We should definitely work through that in IRC.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-apis/#support-of-other-specifications

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au