Re: Normalization, was: RE: [Widget URI] Internationalization, widget IRI?

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 17:47:30 +0200
To: Marcin Hanclik <Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com>
CC: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>

Marcin Hanclik wrote:
> Hi Marcos,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
> It seems we are aligned.
>
>>> UAs will just have to deal with that internally
> I assume there could be an easy solution to the normalization:
> The normalization / mandating some equivalence-determining algorithm (from RFC3987) could go into P&C.
> Then maybe I18N would not have to be bothered further.

Ok, basically, to address this all we need to say is:

If 'potential license href' is a valid IRI, then let 'widget license
href' be the result of normalizing 'potential license href' in
accordance with RFC3987.

Same for author href.

(Personally, I think this change is unnecessary because of the fact that
implementers know these are IRIs already).

Normalization would not apply to feature name or to the id. They are
treated as XML Namespaces (i.e., opaque strings that conform as IRIs).

In other words:

id = "http://www.example.org/r%E9sum%E9.xml"

is not equal

id = "http://www.example.org/résumé"