Re: CfC: to publish the First Public Working Draft of Web Database spec; deadline 7 September

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:19:49 +0200
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Pablo Castro <Pablo.Castro@microsoft.com>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
To: Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti <Laxmi.Oruganti@microsoft.com>
On Sep 1, 2009, at 19:31 , Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti wrote:
> 	LINQ is a hard one to push as LINQ again ties back to Microsoft
> only (single vendor).  As a Microsoft employee I am super excited
> about LINQ, but as standards 	advocate LINQ is not the right one.
> Unless Microsoft puts some effort in standardizing the LINQ and
> promotes few other vendors go for it (much like ODBC), I would not
> vouch for it in web standards.  On the other hand, I have heard of
> efforts in having LINQ like stuff in Java.

I don't have an agenda to push for LINQ, but I don't think that the
reasons you quote eliminate it as an option  many successful
standards started off as a single vendor solution and were later
submitted for consideration by a standards group. I guess what I'm
saying is: since you don't like the SQL-based approach that is
currently being explored, and since you have a wealth of research into
better alternatives, why not look into contributing them?

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/