Re: New FileAPI Draft | was Re: FileAPI feedback

On Aug 17, 2009, at 11:08 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Arun Ranganathan<arun@mozilla.com>
> wrote:
>> Nikunj R. Mehta wrote:

>>> I have another use case for this. The Atom Publishing protocol per
>>> RFC
>>> 5023 [1] accepts inline binary data represented in base 64
>>> encoding. In
>>> order to submit binary inline content in an Atom entry to an Atom
>>> server, it
>>> would be necessary to getAsBase64()
>>
>> Specifically, atom:entry can contain Base64-encoded content [2];
>> I'm not
>> sure it allows *other ways* to submit inline binary content.  I
>> suppose one
>> reason to keep the ability to get data in Base64 is for legacy
>> reasons,
>> since it happens to be a convenient way to get binary stuff into
>> web content
>> (and ultimately onto servers).  The problem is that it is not as
>> useful
>> within webapps (at least, not as useful as binary content).  Use
>> cases
>> submitted till now involve *submitting* binary content in Base64 to
>> servers
>> that can handle Base64, but not doing anything useful with Base64
>> *within*
>> the web app (where I suspect the first thing someone might do is to
>> convert
>> it to a binary string again).
>>
>> I suppose one reason to keep it around is if:
>>
>> 1. Web app asks user to pick file
>> 2. File is picked and extracted as Base64
>> 3. Atom "container" with Base64 is submitted via XHR using the Atom
>> Publishing Protocol [1].
>>
>> I'm willing to keep a way to get data as Base64 around for such
>> cases.
>
> There's lots of formats used on the web, I don't think it makes sense
> to add file-getters for all of them. JSON has gotten a lot of
> attention lately, does this mean we should add a getter that return a
> js-style escaped string?
>
> We have getAsBinaryString, using that you can get the raw data and
> then base64 or escape encode it, or convert it to whatever format you
> want.
>
> / Jonas

An IETF working group has published standards track proposals for a
format and a protocol that uses base 64 encoding. If this is not
sufficient reason, then I am sorry but you have an unduly high
expectation. Let the 'js-style escaped string' get a similar blessing
and then they can bring it to W3C to include them in browsers.

Nikunj
http://o-micron.blogspot.com