Re: Publishing XMLHttpRequest

<stewart.brodie@antplc.com> wrote:
> > Please could you add an appendix in the latter that summarises what's
> > new in the new version?
>
> Is there anything the Abstract does not cover you would like to see
> mentioned?

The Abstract is good for an abstract, but I don't think it's got enough
detail in it for a list of differences.  I'll review the new documents in
closer detail when I get a chance and see if I can suggest some words. I'd
like to adopt some of the new features into my implementation too, as time
permits, probably starting with things like overrideMimeType that are
already widely implemented elsewhere.

> > I believe it is true to say that a "conforming user agent" as defined by
> > XMLHttpRequest-2 cannot also a "conforming user agent" as defined by
> > XMLHttpRequest (not least because the introduction of CORS overrides the
> > requirement to throw SECURITY_ERR at various points).
>
> Yeah. I thought of changing the original XMLHttpRequest to match this new
> reality, but was not sure whether it is worth it.

Probably not.  It's kind of weird to be able to modify both versions of the
specification at once!

> > What is the recommended way for code to discover to which version of the
> > specification an implementation conforms?
>
> I rather not recommend a particular strategy as I'm sure users of the API
> are much more skilled in dealing with issues such as this one.

OK, thanks.

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer