Re: Publishing XMLHttpRequest

From: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:17:09 +0100
To: <public-webapps@w3.org>
Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> Given the number of changes it seems best to simply publish another
> Working Draft for now of both XMLHttpRequest and XMLHttpRequest Level 2
> and see where that brings us. It would help if we have more
> implementations trying to seriously implement it so we could declare the
> draft more stable, but it seems we are not quite there yet.
> I'd like to request that we publish these two drafts:
>   http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest/
>   http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest-2/

Please could you add an appendix in the latter that summarises what's new in
the new version?

I believe it is true to say that a "conforming user agent" as defined by
XMLHttpRequest-2 cannot also a "conforming user agent" as defined by
XMLHttpRequest (not least because the introduction of CORS overrides the
requirement to throw SECURITY_ERR at various points).  What is the
recommended way for code to discover to which version of the specification
an implementation conforms?

Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer
ANT Software Limited