From: Ian Hickson [mailto:ian@hixie.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:11 AM
To: Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti
Cc: Nikunj R. Mehta; Aaron Boodman; public-webapps@w3.org
Subject: RE: [WebStorage] Concerns on spec section 'Processing Model'

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti wrote:

> I am unable to understand on how we are expecting spec readers to
> interpret the spec lines.  At one end, we are not open to make it clear
> that it is a hint/model, and on the other end we are ok to not
> implementing that way.  Think about a person reading the spec, who is
> *not* in touch with this discussion forum; he immediately will conclude
> that he *must* implement in the same way as we describe in the spec.
> So, yes his implementation will be interoperable but we are essentially
> making whole world implement the way we want:(.  I sincerely hope people
> put the readers hat than editors hat here.  It is so sad to see people
> are hesitant to detail out implantation aspects as hints.  I now have a
> great respect for IETF specs, where they detail out everything in clear.
> If we want the spec to have quality, then I suggest keep implementation
> details completely out, but if we think that it is not the way W3C specs
> are written.  Then, I would suggest keep those implementation details as
> hints and have the spec text clear like for example "The database system
> should allow only one writer at a time. *One way* vendors could ensure
> this is by taking up an exclusive lock on the database file ".

The conformance section says:

# Conformance requirements phrased as algorithms or specific steps may be
# implemented in any manner, so long as the end result is equivalent. (In
# particular, the algorithms defined in this specification are intended to
# be easy to follow, and not intended to be performant.)
 -- http://dev.w3.org/html5/webdatabase/#conformance-requirements

Is that not clear enough?