Re: proposal to expose word breaker through JavaScript

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 02:42:04 +0200, Xiaomei Ji <xji@chromium.org> wrote:
> We are proposing the following API to expose word breaker through
> JavaScript.
> document.extendRange(range, "word")
>  It extends the passed-in range to a range in word boundary.
>  If the passed-in range is an empty range, in which the beginning and
> ending
> are the same, the empty range will be extended to a one-word range covers
> the beginning/ending of passed-in range. In the case where the
> beginning/ending of passed-in range is at a word boundary, the logically
> next word will be selected.
>
> If the beginning and ending of the passed-in range are not the same, the
> range is extended to word boundary on both sides. Which means the
> beginning will be extended to the word boundary on its logically left side if it is
> not at a word boundary, and ending will be extended to the word boundary
> on its logically right side if it is not at a word boundary.
>
> Please let us know if there is any issues, concerns with the proposal.

Initially I did not quite understand what this API was proposing, but after reading it a few times it seems to mimic the behavior of what typically happens when you double-click a "word".

I'm still not quite sure whether I understand the API though. Is "word" a keyword on how the range is to be extended or is it an example? Also, wouldn't it be better to put the method on Range rather than Document?

And finally, use cases would help as well as a definition of "word boundary" and how this works/won't work in an international context.

Cheers,

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/