Re: [widgets] Relationship of Widget viewmodes and OpenSocial view types

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Scott
Wilson<scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> The OpenSocial spec also defines a set of views for gadgets[1] and I was
> wondering how these relate to Widget modes as defined in [2].
>
> Here's a quick stab at relating the two specs:
>
> gadgets.views.ViewType.CANVAS = application (or fullscreen?)
> gadgets.views.ViewType.HOME = floating
> gadgets.views.ViewType.PREVIEW = (no equivalent; this seems to be like the
> old thumbnail/screenshot feature)
> gadgets.views.ViewType.PROFILE = floating
> (no equivalent) = mini/docked (come on, which is it guys?)
>
> On first glance its not a very elegant mapping! Partly this is because
> opensocial conflates the display and user role aspects (e.g. the distinction
> between "Home" and "Profile" is whether the "viewer is typically the
> owner"). Can/should the specs be easier to relate?

I'm not sure yet... seems that they can happily live separately from
each other. Those view types seem to serve practical roles/patterns,
while W3C view modes are more like states of being/rendering states...
so, a W3C mode can be in any view types listed above (e.g., fullscreen

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au