Re: [WebStorage] Concerns on spec section 'Processing Model'

On Jul 24, 2009, at 3:57 PM, Aaron Boodman wrote:

>>> I do not agree that database-level locking is a big problem for web
>>> applications.
>>
>> Our problem is not with databases doing database-level locking. Our
>> problem
>> is that such behavior is a MUST.
>
> I think it is very desirable for it to appear to the developer that
> writes to the local datastore are atomic. Lots of complexity falls out
> if this is not true.

It is implicit that transactions give atomicity (that's what A in ACID
stands for). It would be mischaracterizing this discussion to say that
we are arguing about atomicity. We are, however, talking about
isolation (the I in ACID), or more precisely the degree of isolation.

> In some models (non-SQL) it may be easier to
> arrange a large update in the application layer and commit it all at
> once. In SQL, this is less true so it is important to provide API that
> makes conflicts impossible while a multi-step update is in progress.

This problem exists in the WebStorage model [1]. More specifically,
there is no way to perform multiple updates atomically in it.

The proposal that I have sketched about B-trees [2] does not have this
problem since it is possible to work with transactions to get the
atomicity as well as a desired isolation level. I take it that there
are no issues with that proposal since I have not heard anyone say so.

> Perhaps your real issue is that the current API does not work well for
> non SQL data stores.

Not at all! It would be disingenuous to find an ulterior motive in my
arguments.

Nikunj
http://o-micron.blogspot.com

[1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/webstorage/