Re: File API Feedback

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 4:44 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 04:07:18 +0200, Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
> wrote:
> > This still sends strings, but XHR 2[2] has got:
> >
> >   void send(in ByteArray data);
> >
> > which makes me think we need a binary getter as well :)
>
> Yes, it is called responseBody at the moment. I intent to replace both with
> support for FileData (the new Blob as I understand it) whenever that is
> defined and published.

Another aspect of the use case we're discussing (composing a
multipart/form-data POST for sending vis XHR2) is NOT having to actually
read the full contents of the file parts into memory while doing this
composition. That wouldn't work for a large file or for a large number of
smaller files.

Gears BlobBuilder accomplishes that by constructing a resulting Blob that
internally keeps track of a collection of constituent Blobs (some of which
may be memory resident and other backed by a files on disk). When Gears
HttpRequest sends one of these Blobs, it reads things incrementally. So no
big memory usage spikes when dealing with file backed Blobs during
composition of the multipart Blob or during the sending of it (also no big
disk usage spikes during composition or sending).