Re: [WebStorage] Property enumeration and checking presence

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 23:04:37 +0000 (UTC)
To: "Nikunj R. Mehta" <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com>
Cc: public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Nikunj R. Mehta wrote:

> There is a requirement to obtain the storage mutex prior to performing
> Storage interface operations on the localStorage DOM attribute.
>
> Section 3.4 asks for obtaining the storage mutex during property
> enumeration, although this term is not used anywhere else in the
> document. Similarly, it is not clear what is meant by "when checking for
> the presence of a property" that is any different from the getItem()
> method.

Property enumeration and checking for the presence of a property are
operations that would be invoked by the scripting language. For example,
in JS, section 12.6.4 "The for-in Statement" shows two ways of enumerating
properties of an object, and checking the presence of a property is what
[[HasProperty]] does. It would be different in other languages, e.g.
Python or C#.

I don't know how to make the text more explicit while still being language
agnostic. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I agree that
the text is a bit unclear.