Re: [WebIDL] Sequences and arrays

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:10:41 +1000
To: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org
Giovanni Campagna:
> Only one comment:
> it should be noted that with
> interface Example {
> sequence<long> numbers;
> }
>
> In EcmaScript ex.numbers != ex.numbers, because each access to
> "numbers" creates a new Array
> This is probably counterintuitive to most users of the interface and
> may prevent many uses of sequence<> as attributes (to avoid such
> confusion).

Yes that’s a good point.  I’ve added such a note:

  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-sequence

pointed it out in the ECMAScript sequence example:

  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#es-sequence

and added the concept of a “read only” array:

  http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#dfn-read-only-array

In the added note I suggest to use read only arrays instead of sequences
for attribute types.

Thanks,

Cameron

--