Re: Points of order on this WG

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 13:56:52 +0200
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Nikunj R. Mehta" <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com>
Cc: "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>, "public-webapps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>, "Jeff Mischkinsky" <JEFF.MISCHKINSKY@oracle.com>
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 03:06:21 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2009, at 10:51 AM, Nikunj R. Mehta wrote:
>
>> Secondly, Oracle proposes adding request interception and programmable
>> http cache to the WG's charter. Oracle will provide resources for
>> editing and reviewing proposals for all three deliverables.
>
> We already have a broad charter and quite a few deliverables. Before we
> add more to the charter, I'd like to understand the degree of interest
> in request interception and programmable http cache. Is anyone besides
> Oracle interested in pursuing this technology? Are any implementors
> interested in implementing it?

We are "potentially interested" - i.e. we want to see how the spec comes
out first. Given that this is in the scope of existing deliverables, and
given taht Oracle are providing the resources to edit it, I see no reason
to simply stand in their way. If there turns out not to be interst, then
it will have a tough time getting to Rec. There are specs people claim to
be very interested in, but are not prpared to put ay resources into moving
forward - so clearly general surveys of interest are a poor way of
understanding reality.

cheers

Chaals