[File API] data URL method

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 11:58:23 +0200
To: "WebApps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
I tend to think that if we are going to introduce a URL scheme to point to file data on the system we should not be adding the data URL method. As far as I can tell there are no benefits to introducing it as it will only increase memory usage when used by authors and the uses it has can be perfectly achieved using the local file URL. Also, the local URL can be a synchronous API as there is no need to read the entire file directly and store it all into memory. You only need to return a URL.

I.e. instead of

  file.getAsDataURI(
    function(dataURL) { img.src = dataURL }
  )

you would get

  img.src = file.localURL

which is better in many ways and not worse in any way I can think of (maybe apart from moving the discussion with the TAG regarding a new URL scheme a little bit ahead).

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/