Re: An icon must be located either at the root of the widget package or at the root of a locale folder.

On Mon, Jun 19, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Kai Hendry<hendry@iki.fi> wrote:
> In your own configuration document example:   <icon src="icons/boo.png"/>
>
> I.e. the icon is in the icons/ subdirectory.
>

> So that assertion needs a "unless specified in an alternate location
> by a custom icon using the icon element" appended or something simpler
> like that.

Right. This was a bug in the spec. I've fixed it by explicitly stating
where the two kinds of icons can reside:

[[
A custom icon MUST be located either at the root of the widget
package, or at the root of a locale folder, or in an arbritrary
folder.
A default icon MUST be located either at the root of the widget
package or at the root of a locale folder.
]]

> A user agent must derive the media type of a default icon from the
> media type column of the default icons table.
>
> Why must a UA do it this way? Why can't it just sniff use the or just
> do it the way it thinks it should be done. Seems also inconsistent
> with "rule for Identifying the media type of an image".

How so?

> """A user agent must search for a default icon's file-name based on
> the order they appear in the default icons table (from top to bottom).
> """
>
> I thought you said it's upto the UA to choose the best icon?

Yes, it's up to the UA, but you still need to search for them in the
right order. Searching for icons and displaying them are different
things.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au