Re: [WebIDL] Callback, PropertyOnly, NoInterfaceObject

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:12:11 +1000
To: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Cc: "Kruessel, Steffen" <Steffen.Kruessel@fokus.fraunhofer.de>, Marcin Hanclik <Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, ian@hixie.ch
Hi Steffen, Giovanni.

Giovanni Campagna:
> [Callback], despite the names, does not mean that the interface will
> be called back by a method accepting it (although that was the initial
> use case). It barely means that you can convert an Object (in the
> ECMAScript sense) to an object in the WebIDL sense, of that interface.

I agree with everything Giovanni said.

Regarding the name of the extended attribute: it used to be called
[NativeObject], but there were restrictions on it so that it could only
be used on interfaces with operations (and not attributes).  Ian then
requested it be renamed to [Callback], since that was more descriptive.
Since that restriction has now been lifted, and [Callback] interfaces
can have attributes, I agree that [Callback] isn’t the most obvious name
any more.

Anybody object to renaming it back to [NativeObject] then (or can
suggest a better name)?

Thanks,

Cameron

--