Re: [BONDI Architecture & Security] [widgets] new digsig draft, further comments

Marcin

re author, would the term "creator" in the sentence from Thomas help,
e.g.

The author signature asserts that the signing party is a creator of
the widget, and binds the creator's identity to the widget package.

this probably doesn't help, since by definition author means creator...

also, ok with your proposed change

Within a widget package these signature files MUST be ordered based on
the numeric portion of the signature file name.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia

On Mar 27, 2009, at 9:41 AM, ext Marcin Hanclik wrote:

> Hi Frederick,
>
> Thanks for your review of my comments.
>
>>> "Ordering of widget signature files by the numeric portion of the
>>> file
>>> name can be used to allow consistent processing and possible
>>> optimization."
>>>
>>> I think we should keep a sentence since Mark Priestly had earlier
>>> asked that we add it.
> Agreed.
>
>>> can we agree to the change Thomas proposed, as a starting point?

> Yes, we can agree to it as a good starting point.
> For me the disputable is only part of that sentence, i.e.:
> "... asserts that the signing party is an author of the widget,
> and ...".
> since the term "author" is ambiguous currently.
>
>>> My understanding is that the files may not appear in order in the
>>> package, but must processed in order, so the sorting may occur at
>>> processing time. I suggest we leave this text alone for that reason.
>>> This does not mean that an optimization is not possible if they are
>>> known to be in order in the widget package.
> I agree with your understanding. This is what I tried to clarify in
> the text of the spec.
> As for me Section 4 defines the processing algorithm, whereas
> Section 5.3.1 defines a kind of static conformance.
> The sentence:
> "These signatures MUST be sorted numerically based on the numeric
> portion of the name."
> has a few problems as for me. They are as follows:
>
> a) we seem to actually mean the signature files and not signatures
> (signature are contained in signature files). Thus I suggest
> changing "signatures" to "signature files". For even more clarity I
> suggest prepending the sentence with "Within a widget package",
> since the section 5.3.1 specifies syntax for a single distributor's
> signature and the plural form comes just suddenly.
>
> b) there is a new term "sorted numerically". I suggest using
> "Numerical order" instead as you also agreed to it.
>
> c) "name" may be unclear, so I suggest to change it to "file name".
>
> The above points a) - c) result in the following text:
> "Within a widget package these signature files MUST be ordered based
> on the numeric portion of the signature file name."

ok