Von: OTSI-Arch-Sec-owner@omtp.ieee-isto.org <OTSI-Arch-Sec-owner@omtp.ieee-isto.org>
An: Hillebrand, Rainer; marcosc@opera.com <marcosc@opera.com>; paddy@aplix.co.jp <paddy@aplix.co.jp>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org <public-webapps@w3.org>; otsi-arch-sec@omtplists.org <otsi-arch-sec@omtplists.org>
Gesendet: Thu Mar 26 17:58:03 2009
Betreff: RE: Re: [BONDI Architecture & Security] [widgets] new digsig draft

Hi All,

As the author signature was something I had a hand in creating let me add my 2 pence worth.

Rainer is correct in that the author signature need not actually come from the author of the widget. It comes from someone who claims to be the widget's author. Whether you believe this claim depends on how much you trust the signer.

In [1] the current text says:

[
The author signature can be used to determine:

    * the author of a widget,
    * that the integrity of the widget is as the author intended,
    * and whether two widgets came from the same author.
]

I would suggest changing this to:

[
The author signature can be used to:

    * authenticate the identity of the entity that added the author signature to the widget package,
    * confirm that no widget files have been modified, deleted or added since the generation of the author signature.

The author signature may be used to:
    * determine whether two widgets came from the same author.
]

The reason the last point is a may is as follows:

If two widgets contain author signatures that were created using the same private key then we can say that the widgets were both signed by someone who had access to that key. That would normally mean the same entity (author, company, whatever). If the owner of that key shares it with others then obviously this no longer is true. However, this is the choice of the owner of the key - normally you would not share your private key!

One additional point to add. We also define a distributor signature. Distributor signatures cover the author signature. As such a distributor signature may (depending on other factors) be making an implicit statement that the distributor believes the owner of the author signature to be the widget's author.

Any clearer?

Thanks,

Mark

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-digsig/Overview.html

T-Mobile International AG
Aufsichtsrat/ Supervisory Board: René Obermann (Vorsitzender/ Chairman)
Vorstand/ Board of Management: Hamid Akhavan (Vorsitzender/ Chairman), Michael Günther, Lothar A. Harings, Katharina Hollender
Handelsregister/Commercial Register Entry: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 12276
Steuer-Nr./Tax No.: 205 / 5777/ 0518
USt.-ID./VAT Reg.No.: DE189669124
Sitz der Gesellschaft/ Corporate Headquarters: Bonn