Re: Selectors API

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:58:25 +0100
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: "WebApps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:30:54 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2007Mar/0066.html
>>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2007Apr/0009.html
>>  I read those. That was long after this was initially discussed though.
>> And also around the time I stopped being the active editor of the
>> specification.
>
> Er, indeed.  Those seem to be discussion of ElementTraversal.

Oops.

> I was pretty sure I'd raised the same issue with Selectors API, but the
> W3C list search is crappy enough that I can't find the posts...  In
> fact, the only thread on the matter I can find is the "ACTION-87:
> Selectors API" thread (announcing that you plan to start working on the
> spec at) at
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2006Feb/0108.html>.
> Was that it?

Yeah, I think
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2006Feb/0129.html gives
the basic argument. Still sounds reasonable today although it may not
apply to all implementations.

> In any case, the static implementation was considerably more complicated
> in Gecko, I suspect performance is a wash in most cases, though it's
> easy to create examples that are much faster with one or the other
> approach.

I personally would have preferred a live API. Too late now though.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/