Re: [widgets] Further argument for making config.xml mandatory

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:24:12 +0100
To: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@gmail.com>
Cc: "Priestley, Mark, VF-Group" <Mark.Priestley@vodafone.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Other suggestions are of course welcome!
>>>
>>> One alternative would be to separate out the non-localisable data into a separate document, eg manifest.xml... But this is also likely to irritate implementers :(
>>>

>> No, the WG are saving manifest.xml for an actual manifest format. Lets
>> keep it in the config. How was that list of localizable elements
>> working for you?
>
> The way JavaFx does it might be of interest, for example a simple
> hello world message:
>
> ##[greeting]"Hello, World."
>
> The value in ##[  ] is the key which is looked up against traditional
> resource bundle files that are named and stored in standard ways, and
> the "Hello World" is the default value if the key doesn't exist for
> the given locale.
>
> The key part is optional, so you can just have "Hello World".
>
> So perhaps the localizable values in the main config could use that
> syntax, rather than you have specify a list of "localizable elements"

We looked at that a while back. We don't like that a developer needs
to pollute their code with various document.write or element.innerHTML
calls/hooks to achieve localization.  Having said that, the current
localization model does not preclude authors from using that
localization method.

Kind regards,
Marcos

--