Re: [Widgets] Widget Gallery RSS like sharing format

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 01:52:00 -0700
To: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@gmail.com>
Cc: marcosc@opera.com, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, Thomas Landspurg <thomas.landspurg@gmail.com>, SUZANNE Benoit RD-SIRP-ISS <benoit.suzanne@orange-ftgroup.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 1:47 AM, Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Personally, I would recommend that we don't :) Version identifiers are
>>> largely useless and experience shows that users use them wrong (e.g. a bunch
>>> of SVG out there that's labelled as 1.1 is really 1.2, but people just
>>> copy-paste the root element).
>>
>> Agreed. This is the reason we did not specify a version or platform
>> attribute for widgets to date.
>
> That's the worst reason ever to do anything!  If users are having
> problems because they don't understand what they are copying and
> pasting, then address that

I think that is what we are doing. By not including a version
identifier, we remove the temptation to make backwards incompatible
changes protected by a version switch. Those are the type of changes
that are harmful since they require more complex authoring than much
of the web seems to use.

/ Jonas