Re: [Widgets] APIs and Events preference change

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:26:04 +0100
To: Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com>
Cc: Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@opera.com>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Scott Wilson
<scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> We've managed to implement Storage for Widget.preferences as an overlay over
> the older get/set method without any problems.

that's great to hear!

> One issue though is the HTML5 doc uses some syntax that relies on a
> Rubyesque method_missing capability that just isn't present in many
> environments, including, notably, JavaScript.
> E.g. the HTML 5 doc has this example:
>
> <label>
>  <input type="checkbox" onchange="sessionStorage.insurance = checked">
>  I want insurance on this trip.
> </label>
>
> Now, we can handle this no problem:
>
> Widget.preferences.getItem("insurance")
>
> But:
> Widget.preferences.insurance
> ... poses a bit more of a challenge!
> Thoughts?

I've CC'd Ian Hickson (editor of HTML5) and Anne van Kesteren (who
knows the inner working on this stuff much better than me). I think
this is useful feedback for when Ian rips the Storage interface out of
HTML5. Hopefully Anne or Ian can provide a suggestion as to how to
overcome the problem you described.

Kind regards,
Marcos

--